Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The General Store

It seemed like I was in that crate for weeks. I was rolled up tight with 49 other pennies in a paper roll. Then suddenly we all felt the crate move and I think we were loaded onto a truck. I remember a bumpy ride for several days and then I was picked up and carried somewhere and was plopped down on the floor. I had no idea where I was. I could hear a squeaking, then the top of the crate opened and I saw a man standing there. He started to pick up rolls of pennies and walk away.

Then came my turn, the man picked up my roll and opened it. I was laying on a counter top and able to see my new home. I saw a sign that said “Williams Brothers General Store, Philadelphia, Mississippi."  MISSISSIPPI!!!!!!  I started in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ....and now I am in Philadelphia, Mississippi???  I guess that was a long road trip. I could see the whole general store from the counter. There were lots of people sitting around talking and picking out food. I saw lots of tools, shoes, clothing, big pickles,  hams hanging off hooks, candy in jars and glassware. There were some old men playing checkers and smoking cigars, laughing loudly. I noticed a calendar on the wall that had the date, March 19, 1939 written on it. 



The man scooped me up and put me in a metal box where I saw other coins and paper money. This must be where he keeps his money.  After he had put me in the metal box he shoved it closed. I could no longer hear what people were saying, but then the box opened and it made a loud “Cha Ching!”  The man reached in the box and put more dollar bills in and then took out 3 pennies, including me! As he closed the box he handed me and some other coins to a little girl who was holding a lollipop. The little girl held me in her hand as she went skipping out the door. Then I got to see what the outside of "Williams Brothers General Store"  and I could see "County Road." 






As the girl walked with me down the street I felt myself falling. I slipped out of her hand. There I lay, in the dirt. . . what would happen to me next?

by LC


historical notation:

Williams Brothers General Store and History of Philadelphia, Mississippi










No comments:

Post a Comment